Saturday, April 11, 2015

Book Review: Daily Tortilla

Corn tortillas are used in our home as commonly as bread.  Surprisingly, we have never before attempted to make them at home.  And I am so glad we did!  Using the recipe in this book was surprisingly easy and fast (now we just need a tortilla press!!).  I am sure we will never buy tortillas from the store again.  I have always thought the store bought corn tortillas have a weird taste, and they seem to crumble a lot (no matter what brand).  Our homemade ones taste delicious, and stay together well!  We finally have a happy compromise for tortillas in our gluten free home. (My husband prefers that I do not bring wheat home!)

I also made the Mexican Cream.  We prefer to make things as fresh as possible, and this was easy to make.  I used it in the Enchilada Sauce.  I did not taste it prior to adding it to the sauce because I don’t really like sour cream if I can actually taste it.

And finally, I made the Swiss Enchiladas.  I have never heard of these, apparently they were made by Swiss immigrants to Mexico.  These were amazing!!  I will happily be eating these for the rest of the month (I meant to make a double batch, but it turned out to be a lot more than a double batch.)  I never would have thought to make a sauce out of zucchini and spinach for enchiladas.  And cilantro.  I might have gone a little overboard on the cilantro, but I loved it.  My 3 year old daughter and husband loved them too.  My daughter wanted to help, and had a great time taking the skin off of the tomatillos, and collecting their seeds to plant in our garden.  Tomorrow I’ll have her help me make up more enchiladas to store in the freezer.  I love having projects she can help me with.  I’m sure I will make these enchiladas for years to come and I am looking forward to trying more authentic recipes from this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment